14 Bed Bug Tips – Do’s and Don’ts
Dealing with bed bugs is not easy. Hopefully you read our last post on developing a bed bug treatment plan. Either way, here are a few bed bug tips to keep in mind if you encounter any infestations. Feel free to use these to supplement your bed bug action plan.
- Do not overreact and vacate the premises—unless the bedbugs are taking over your entire building.
- Do not ignore it or delay taking action.
- Do not apply pesticides (especially if you are not properly trained or knowledgeable on chemicals).
- Do not place blame on any guests or staff.
- Do not assume all bugs are bed bugs.
- Do not move guests and their belongings to new rooms without first inspecting and washing their items.
- Do not bring clean linens near dirty ones that need to be washed.
- Do confirm the insect is in fact a bed bug; have a professional identify the insect if necessary.
- Do make sure anyone who comes into contact with infested areas or persons is inspected and changes to bed bug free (just laundered) clothing.
- Do develop a plan to treat bed bug infestations.
- Do routine inspections for bed bugs.
- Do inspect the surrounding and common areas including rooms next door, across the hall as well as laundry rooms and cafeterias.
- Do understand that bed bugs may not be treated by a single service visit.
- Do make sure housekeepers always leave carts outside during room service.
Do you have some tips? Join the conversation online and share your knowledge and experience with our social community.